Wednesday 26 November 2008

One Minute Wonder

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be filled.
    - Matthew 5:6

I was at a restaurant recently when several respectable girls asked some guests if they could eat their crusts! Hunger cannot coexist with pride, as my friend Herbert Barbutti pointed out.

I have seen children filling their pockets with rice when their stomachs were too full to eat another morsel. I have seen them drinking from a tap and forgetting to breathe. If you are hungry enough, you will forget your manners, and eat as if there's no tomorrow.

Pregnant readers are eating for two; and so is anyone who travails for the righteousness of a friend. My friend Timo once spoke about a principle: If you wake up with a dry mouth you might go back to sleep, but there is a thirst that is great enough to drive you out of your bed to get a glass of water: it is thirst that drives me to do this - to spend time in God's presence, receiving real food and real drink from Him, our precious Saviour, our Righteousness.

Thank you.

Remain in Me, and I will remain in you.
-John 15:4